Observations and reflections from a five month placement with the University of Canterbury School of Earth and Environment, thanks to the Science Teaching Leadership Programme 2025a
Week 8 - # DunnerStunner (AKA dazed and confused down South)
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Hopeful signs for the begging of the course? Actually no, just a caution that rain was on the way...
"Seek after learning for the sake of your wellbeing" A week of introductions and forging new connections. And administration. So many names and faces to learn, forms to fill, profiles to write. And so many opportunities. Already I can see many, many possibilities for the next five months and beyond. Possibly my greatest challenge will be to restrain myself from trying to grab every conceivable opportunity - and in trying to do everything, do nothing well. Everyone that I have met so far in the University of Canterbury School of Earth and Environment, from post-grad students through to the Head of School, has been really welcoming and enthusiastic.
"It's a very intensive week" they said. They did not lie! My first thoughts regarding any learnings about myself as a leader are that there were no major surprises. I am given to a fair degree of introspection at the best (and worst) of times! I have completed MBTI tests in the past, although interestingly I seem to have shifted from INTJ to INTP - of course true MBT believers would say that you don't really change type, so the apparent change is more due to the fact that I have several traits that are VERY strongly 'out of type' - but then "not wanting to fit into other people's categories" seems pretty typical for an INTP personality, so I guess I can live with it. I did have to chuckle when I searched online for information on MBTI tests and one of the top results was a site discussing whether MBTI or astrology were more reliable... On "Character Strengths" tests I usually show "honesty" and "appreciation of beauty...
Investigation - 'How many washes are needed to get the sulfur smell out of your clothes?' Day 1 - travel to Rotorua + Waimangu Volcanic Valley visit. It would be GREAT to bring a school trip here! Logistically 'challenging' (plus rather expensive) but somewhere SO different to Chch that it is worth the effort. Lesson from university - look for FUNDING; find organisation(s) that are sufficiently aligned that we can get money from them... First thoughts - Gateway and/ or STAR funding from school (possibly some tourism US?) AirNZ might do us a deal? Can incorporate Earth Science and Te Ao Māori. Probably needs significant lead-time = plan for next year. To do: Find best time of year for trip. Definitely makes sense to include for senior students. Mid/ late Term ONE? Funding - check at school + UC for possible contacts Contacts in Rotorua - ask Kura Day 2 - Wananga/ whakapapa From chat with Pete - variety of forms for wharenui + where are 'our' school marae? Rotoru...
Comments
Post a Comment